The 14.75 Six (1870 cc) was the Company's first venture into the six-cylinder market in 1927. The aim initially was for improved flexibility rather than increased performance. In late 1928 the six-cylinder model became the 16.95, the engine size being increased to 2148 cc, to give a fast, smooth car capable of up to 80 mph depending on the bodywork fitted. In March 1929 the model was renamed the Silver Eagle. A short-chassis sports version was introduced in October 1929, and from mid-1930 Silver Eagle models featured a wider track and lowered chassis. Touring versions have one Solex or Zenith carburettor: sports versions have triple SUs. The water pump, dynamo and dual-ignition magneto are coupled together on the offside of the engine. The camshaft timing wheel and the drive gear for the ancillaries are situated at the rear of the engine and driven from the crankshaft by duplex chain fitted with an automatic spring controlled chain tensioner.